Solidarity with Haiti, 10 Years After the Earthquake
The 2010 earthquake in Haiti was devastating both in terms of loss of life and utter destruction in and around the capital city of Port-au-Prince. The overwhelming tragedy attracted the world’s attention–for a moment.
But Partners In Health is interested in more than a moment. Our Haitian colleagues immediately responded to the disaster, and continued our decades-long work rebuilding the public health system, alongside our partners in the national government.
With your support over the past 10 years, PIH has built a world-class teaching hospital, launched a mental health program, battled malnutrition, fought cholera, and so much more. While the need remains great, so does our conviction to stand with Haiti.
Measuring the Earthquake's Impact
220,000-300,000 individuals estimated dead.
More than 50 hospitals and health centers collapsed.
Damages estimated at
$7.8 billion (120% of Haiti’s GDP).
Data provided by the World Bank.
WHAT DO YOU REALLY KNOW ABOUT HAITI?
Chances are, you don’t have the full story.
STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH HAITI
With your support, Partners In Health has delivered health care in Haiti for more than 30 years, in partnership with the Haitian government. Since the earthquake in 2010:
123 residents graduated, 116 currently enrolled.
7,773 mental health visits, part of a program launched as a direct response to the earthquake.
21 nurse anesthetists trained, all currently working in Haiti.
Shop for gifts that save lives.
One safe childbirth
- A safe, facility-based birth, with a skilled clinician to manage emergencies, saves mothers’ lives.
- Your gift of $660 ensures our staff and facilities can be ready for any eventuality.
One remote community mobile clinic
- Mobile clinics allow our teams to travel to the most remote communities we serve to provide health care that saves lives.
- Your $210 gift provides the staff, stuff, and support we need for this vital outreach.
One month of malnutrition care
- In Haiti, starvation takes an especially cruel toll, leaving 1 in 5 children malnourished. The results are devastating: stunting, cognitive disabilities, even death.
- Your $180 gift helps provide a child with daily doses of Nourimanba, a peanut-based and vitamin- and mineral-enriched supplement that can reverse malnutrition.
News From Haiti
The 2010 Haiti earthquake hit, and offers of in-kind donations came pouring in overnight. The need was unthinkable, and as charitable response grew, PIH staff quickly set up space in Miami and Port-au-Prince to stage shipments and manage stock of orthopedic equipment, IV fluid, wound care supplies, and many other
The Women and Girls Initiative (WGI) promotes adolescent girls’ social protection, empowerment, and leadership. Under the hospices of Partners in Health, WGI has worked to empower the most marginalized and disadvantaged adolescent girls and young women in Rwanda and Haiti through scholarships, youth resource centers, and summer leadership academies. Since
Following the first confirmed COVID-19 case on March 19, the Haitian government announced the closure of the country’s main point of entries, including ports, airports, and the border with the Dominican Republic. For more than 15 years, Zanmi Lasante (ZL)—as Partners In Health is known in Haiti—has been providing health
Join the movement to make health care accessible for everyone. Take the first step today