Solidarity with Haiti, 10 Years After the Earthquake
The 2010 earthquake in Haiti was devastating both in terms of loss of life and utter destruction in and around the capital city of Port-au-Prince. The overwhelming tragedy attracted the world’s attention–for a moment.
But Partners In Health is interested in more than a moment. Our Haitian colleagues immediately responded to the disaster, and continued our decades-long work rebuilding the public health system, alongside our partners in the national government.
With your support over the past 10 years, PIH has built a world-class teaching hospital, launched a mental health program, battled malnutrition, fought cholera, and so much more. While the need remains great, so does our conviction to stand with Haiti.
Measuring the Earthquake's Impact
220,000-300,000 individuals estimated dead.
More than 50 hospitals and health centers collapsed.
Damages estimated at
$7.8 billion (120% of Haiti’s GDP).
Data provided by the World Bank.
WHAT DO YOU REALLY KNOW ABOUT HAITI?
Chances are, you don’t have the full story.
STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH HAITI
With your support, Partners In Health has delivered health care in Haiti for more than 30 years, in partnership with the Haitian government. Since the earthquake in 2010:
123 residents graduated, 116 currently enrolled.
7,773 mental health visits, part of a program launched as a direct response to the earthquake.
21 nurse anesthetists trained, all currently working in Haiti.
Shop for gifts that save lives.
One safe childbirth
- A safe, facility-based birth, with a skilled clinician to manage emergencies, saves mothers’ lives.
- Your gift of $660 ensures our staff and facilities can be ready for any eventuality.
One remote community mobile clinic
- Mobile clinics allow our teams to travel to the most remote communities we serve to provide health care that saves lives.
- Your $210 gift provides the staff, stuff, and support we need for this vital outreach.
One month of malnutrition care
- In Haiti, starvation takes an especially cruel toll, leaving 1 in 5 children malnourished. The results are devastating: stunting, cognitive disabilities, even death.
- Your $180 gift helps provide a child with daily doses of Nourimanba, a peanut-based and vitamin- and mineral-enriched supplement that can reverse malnutrition.
News From Haiti
The world is seeing now more than ever, how washing hands with soap and water has become one of the most important ways to prevent the spread of infections leading to illness. However, in lower-income countries, access to clean water is a luxury that most cannot afford. This is an
Anti-government protests in Haiti began in July 2018 and persist to this day. The civil unrest—which has led to violent protests, roadblocks, and fuel shortages—has negatively impacted the economy and placed undue burden on Haitians, who now face 30 percent inflation on basic goods and services. Despite the political and socio-economic
Haiti very often has been the first country where Partners In Health operates to try a new course of action, whether it is a new HIV medication, TB protocol, or community health worker training. On March 20, this rang true once again. That morning was when Haiti’s Ministry of Health
Join the movement to make health care accessible for everyone. Take the first step today